Top Navigation

Caulk for Moldings

caulk for molding and millworkDAP Alex Plus Painter’s Caulk

The caulk I use more than any other to fill the small gaps on and around my molding installations is regular ol’ DAP painter’s caulk.

I use it on everything from crown moldings to wainscoting.

I like to sculpt and shape the caulk under most circumstances, so I want it to hold its shape when dry (at least as much as caulk allows for shaping).

The more expensive elastomeric caulks don’t hold their shape when cured (shrinkage!), so I rarely use them any longer.

Price and Specs

  • Unit Price $2.28/10.1 oz tube
  • Vendor Paint and hardware stores

Related Posts

[Return to our Consumables Index page.]

2 Responses to Caulk for Moldings

  1. JC January 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM #

    Hey, I use the same stuff for all my restored trim (I don’t like any gaps, and I also use it to simulate many layers of paint at the edges/corners of mouldings (this is a very old house). I just thought I’d pass along that you can buy Dap (white and clear) at Wal-Mart for much cheaper (here in Ontario, Canada, they sell it for 2.17$ so I’d assume it would be even cheaper in the US). Also, it’s even cheaper if you buy it by the case. If I had known earlier just how much of this caulk I would need/use, I would have bought probably about 2 cases. I can easily go through a whole tube in one room, plus I still have a lot of caulking and repairs to do on the exterior (porch), etc.

  2. Ken January 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM #

    Thanks for sharing your tip, JC.

    And you’re right about always needing more than you think.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes