Sean wants to know how I built this corbel return that I integrated into CROWN MOLDING-125. It’s really easy, I’ll show you step by step. I don’t have the installation pictures from this project, but I have something similar to illustrate how the moldings are stacked.
- Flat-Stock Shaft In this case I stacked two 3/4″ pieces of MDF together to get this thickness.
- Architrave Molding Wrap a piece of molding around the shaft. This architrave molding was perfect for the job. I also added a small panel molding at the top so it terminates properly.
- Corbel This is just an inexpensive plastic corbel I bought at Lowes Home Improvement. It butts up against the bottom of the shaft.
- Lower Detail Wrap the lower molding around the shaft. This large, three-piece crown molding is installed exactly the same as CROWN MOLDING-103, for which I have detailed installation instructions posted.
- Cornice Install the flat-stock cornice/abacus.
- Crown Molding Wrap the crown molding around the shaft and you’re all done!
[If you’d like to learn more about transitioning molding patterns between rooms, read this post Architectural Subordination.]
And that’s all there is to it, Sean. Good luck building your own corbel return. And don’t forget to send us some pics when you’re all finished.